Permanent Residence Card

At present, if you are an EEA national and have exercising your Treaty Rights in the UK for more than five years, you can apply for a permanent residence card. You do not need this to demonstrate that you have residence status in the UK unless you are wishing to apply for British citizenship, you are an extended family member of someone from the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and you are yourself not an EEA or Swiss national; or you want to sponsor your partner’s visa application. You may also be eligible for a residence card if you have a ‘retained right of residence’ or make a ‘Surinder Singh’ application.

Although not required, there are benefits of applying for a permanent residence card as it can be beneficial when dealing with authorities or for administrative purposes to verify that you have a job, sufficient resources and health insurance; demonstrating you have been appropriately exercising your Treaty Rights.

There will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens living in the UK until 2021.

If you are an EEA national and have been living in the UK for less than five years, you can apply for an EEA Residence card that lasts for five years, after which you may be eligible to apply for an EEA permanent residence card.

Your card will not be valid after December 2020. You and your family can apply for ‘settled status’ if you want to continue living in the UK after June 2021, however, this scheme will be fully open by March 2019.

In an uncertain and changing environment, as a result of Brexit, a permanent residence card can give you the confidence that you are a settled resident in the UK; with documentary evidence to support this. Contact one of our EEA immigration experts who can evaluate your individual situation and advise you on how the changes in legislation may potentially affect you; as well as advising you on your application process. We will help you gather all the relevant evidence and liaise with the Home Office on your behalf; ensuring every step of the way chances of success are maximised. Call us on 020 7887 1916, complete the online contact form or get in touch on social media.

UK Immigration rules are complex and challenging which is why we work to our client's best interest and understand what is at stake.

Fill out the form and one of our immigration experts will be in touch.


Who should apply for the EEA Residence Card?
Is the EEA Residence Card a visa?
How will Brexit impact the EEA Residence Card?
As a family member of an EEA national do I need a Residence Card?
Can my dependants also apply?
How can Alexandra & Spencer help?

Get a free consultation call from immigration specialist

Our highly professional, dedicated and knowledgeable specialists will do all the hard work to make the immigration process easy and understandable so you will be confident about successful outcome.