Adult Student Visa

If you are from a country that is not in the EEA or Switzerland, and wishing to study in the UK you must first apply for a UK Student Visa. If you wish to study in the UK for longer than six months, you must apply for a Student Visa under the Tier 4 category for which the Home Office will apply a points based system (PBS) to assess your eligibility.

You can apply for an Adult Student Visa under the Tier 4 (General) student category if you are over the age of 16 years old and have been offered a place on a course, can speak, read , write and understand English. You must also have sufficient funds to support yourself and pay for your course. You will need 40 points to apply, 30 points will be awarded for providing a confirmation of acceptance of studies from an approved education provider; and a further 10 points for maintenance funds.

Should your application be successful you will generally be permitted to remain in the UK for the full length of your course and a short time after it has completed. After this you will need to leave the UK unless you apply to extend or switch to another immigration category. 

You will also need to pay the NHS Surcharge if your course is expected to last for more than 6 months.

There will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens living in the UK until 2021. You and your family may apply for ‘settled status’ to continue living in the UK after June 2021. This scheme will be fully open by March 2019.

How can Alexandra & Spencer help?

Our team are committed to assisting you with your ambitions of studying in the UK. Our immigration experts will analyse the best route for your individual circumstances and will communicate with the approved educational provider to arrange your sponsorship and obtain the necessary documents. We will check through all additional documentation, making certain they are adequate enough to submit with your application. One of our team will complete your application form, and submit this with a Letter of Representation; relating this to UK law. We will work with you from start to completion, to obtain the required outcome.

Call us on 020 7887 1916 or alternatively fill in the online contact form to speak to one of our immigration experts in order to get your application started.


What are the eligibility requirements for a UK Student Visa?

In order to be eligible for a Tier 4 (General) Visa, you will need to ensure that you have an unconditional offer of a place on a course with an approved licensed Tier 4 Sponsor. You will also need to provide evidence that  demonstrates you have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course – this amount will vary depending on your course.

You will also be required to provide proof of identity documents and complete a very in-depth application form which asks for personal details, immigration history, and criminal background. One of our team members can assist you with to ensure your application form and evidence are sufficient.

Can I apply to extend my Tier 4 (General) Visa?

Upon completion of your course, you will either have to switch to another visa or leave the UK following the official end-date of your course. It is very important to act quickly in order to remain in the UK legally, especially if you have graduated. You may apply within 6 months of getting a confirmation of acceptance (CAS) for your intended course but you must do so before your visa expires and no more than 3 months before the start date.

There is a ten day priority application service and a one day premium service, should you require this.

Can I switch to a Tier 4 UK Student Visa?

Yes, you are able to switch to a Tier 4 Student Visa (General) category if your are already in the UK with a valid visa and you meet the eligibility requirements.

You may be able to switch to a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa if you are in the UK and on the following visas or schemes:

  • Tier 2 General
  • Tier 2 (Intra-company transfer
  • Tier 2 (Minister of Religion)
  • Tier 4 Child

You should include any dependents on you application to extend if they are on your current visa, including those who have turned 18 during your stay.

Switching to this category can be a very complex process with a lot of requirements in relation to your current circumstances therefore we recommend discussing your options with an immigration lawyer. Contact our team to assist you with your application and options on 020 7887 1916.

Am I allowed to work in the UK whilst on a Tier 4 Student Visa?

Tier 4 students can work in the UK during their studies, however, there are limits on the number of hours you are able to work. As an adult student on a degree course, you can only work for a maximum of 20 hours a week, provided it does not interfere with your studies. Should you discontinue your studies before the course is complete your eligibility to work will also end, therefore continuing to work will breach your visa conditions.

What are the eligibility requirements for a Student Visitor Visa?

You may wish to apply for a Student Visitor Visa if you are 18 years old or over and wish to undertake a short course of study, that does not exceed a period of six months; or eleven months if it is an English language course. You need to demonstrate you have the adequate funds to support yourself and funds for accommodation, as well as meeting the cost of your return journey.

If you wish to study for more than six months you will need to apply for the Tier 4 (General) Student Visa.

How can Alexandra & Spencer help?

Your education is one of the most important aspects of your life, so we understand you will want to make the best choices about this. We will help you discuss your options and make recommendations from our extensive experience, to get your application off to the best start.

We will assist with completing forms, gathering the required documentation and liaise with your chosen approved provider (Tier 4 Sponsor) to obtain a Confirmation of Acceptance (CAS). You evidence will be supported with a Letter of Representation highlighting the merits of your case and citing relevant law in ensure a strong application is being submitted. We will liaise with the Home Office until completion.

Call us on 020 7887 1916 or fill in the online contact form to get your application started.

Get a free consultation call from immigration specialist

Our highly professional, dedicated and knowledgeable specialists will do all the hard work to make the immigration process easy and understandable so you will be confident about successful outcome.